With the cold weather most of the country is experiencing, I thought this would be the perfect time to share one of my favorite recipes. My family loves this recipe. I’ve made this for friends who were not feeling well, and the loved it too. This will be a family favorite for a lot of families!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large Carrots, chopped
- 2 celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 14oz/400g can of chopped tomatoes or pureed tomatoes
- 1 quart/400ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Cans Cannellini Beans
- 1 (3-inch) piece Parmesan rind (optional, but if you
- can get a hold of it, it adds a lot of flavor).
- 1¼ cups/125g Small Pasta (ie – Small shells or ditalini)
- A couple of good handfuls of Flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot, then cook the onion, carrot and celery until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Once cooked put into the crockpot along with the stock, 1 can of beans beans (adding the liquid from the beans will add extra thickness to the soup) Parmesan rind (if using) and chopped tomatoes,
- Puree or mash the 2nd can of beans with a little of the liquid from the can and then add it to the crockpot. Cook on low 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3
- About 30 minutes before its done cooking add the pasta, chopped and seasonings. Cook until the pasta is cooked al dente (adding water if the soup becomes too thick).
- Serve in bowls topped grated Italian cheese and a sprinkling of chopped parsley if you wish
Like this recipe? Check out my other recipes here