Are you a dollar store shopper? The fact of the matter is, there are some things that are a flat out amazing deal at the dollar store, while some things are better purchased elsewhere.
Here are 7 things that I always buy at my local dollar store:
1. Cleaning Supplies – I don’t purchase all of my cleaning supplies at the dollar store, but I get some great deals on the ones I do buy.
Rubber gloves. $1 for 2 pair of rubber gloves? Sold! Reusable wipes/cloths are another thing I routinely buy at the dollar store.
2. Greeting Cards – When was the last time you purchased a greeting card? Go to your typical retailer and you will find that they typically charge $3-$5 or more for one card!! Whereas you can go to the dollar store and often find them for 2 for $1 or $1 each for the fancier ones.
3. Party Supplies / Wrapping Paper – Whenever I am planning a party or heading to a party, the dollar store is where I shop. When I need party supplies like cupcake cups and candles, I know they will be there and they will be inexpensive. When I am heading to a party, this is where I get my wrapping paper, gift bags and balloons.
4. Holiday Decor – Let’s face it, each holiday only has so much buildup. It makes no sense to spend hundreds of dollars for decorations that are going to be up for a matter of weeks. The dollar store is the perfect place to pick up cute decor for all the holidays on a great budget. Plus, because you are able to get the decorations so inexpensive, you don’t have to stress as much if you don’t have room to store them throughout the year.
5. Educational Flashcards for kids – The dollar store is a great place to pick up educational flashcards. I have found Color and Alphabet Flashcards as well as Mathematical ones at the dollar store. I have also found educational workbooks, for the older children I tutor throughout the year.
6. Office Supplies- Another area where you will usually save up to 50% or more is in the office supply section! Markers, crayons, pens, tape, and more! The discounts will sometimes be more, and only very rarely less—though it will always be a savings.
7. Craft supplies – Some people prefer not to buy paints and glues at the dollar store, but I have found many other great crafting supplies while perusing the aisles of my local dollar store. From craft and construction paper to stencils, stickers and more, you can save big on these items when you shop at the dollar store!
Here’s my favorite thing about the Dollar Tree: they accept coupons! Dollar Tree will accept up to 4 like coupons per household per day, and even up to 2 Internet coupons per customer per day. They do accept retail-specific coupons. The biggest thing to watch for when using coupons at Dollar Tree is the size requirements on the coupon, as some of the items they sell are smaller than what is allowed on the coupon. I have used coupons at the Dollar Tree to get items such as got2b hair products, Tazo Tea, Progresso, ice cream, and more for free!
Don’t get sucked into thinking that everything at the dollar store is a great deal, because, let’s face it, it’s not. However, the dollar store can be a great way to save money if you shop right!